Here are 10 tips to help protect your child's eyes from computer eyestrain:
– Set a kitchen timer or a smart device timer to remind them.
– Alternate reading an ebook with a real book and encourage kids to look up and out the window every two chapters.
– After completing a level in a video game, look out the window for 20 seconds.
– Pre-mark books with a paperclip every few chapters to remind your child to look up. On an e-book, use the "bookmark" function for the same effect.- Avoid using a computer outside or in brightly lit areas, as the glare on the screen can create strain.
– Adjust the brightness and contrast of your computer screen so that it feels comfortable to you.
– Use good posture when using a computer and when reading.
– Encourage your child to hold digital media farther away, 18 to 24 inches is ideal.
– Create a distraction that causes your child to look up every now and then.
– Remind them to blink when watching a screen.
Source: American Academy of Ophthalmology
Published with permission from RISMedia.