Would you REALLY help others if you were rich? – Scott Koehler
When I was young I wanted to open people’s eyes to the suffering of the world. “But who will listen?” I remember thinking. I’m nobody. “No I have to figure out how to become rich so that others will listen to me”. What I failed to realize for DECADES is I was already rich… Here are the facts:
- If you have food in your fridge, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep you are richer than 75% of the world.
- If you have money in the bank, your wallet, and some spare change you are among the top 8% of the world’s wealthy.
- If you woke up this morning with more health than illness you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive this week.
- If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the agony of imprisonment or torture, or the horrible pangs of starvation you are luckier than 500 million people alive and suffering.
- If you can read this message you are more fortunate than 3 billion people in the world who cannot read it at all.”
Sobering statistics aren’t they? Who would have thought? Here I was seeking to become what I already was. Rich. I had at my disposal the means to make a difference all along. What’s more, after a couple decades I had considerably more! Yet in my MIND I was no Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, so I was powerless to effect change on a scale that would REALLY make a difference. Better knuckle down and try harder! Year after year… Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
What I hadn’t FULLY considered was what I was doing with the resources I already have. Like many people I tithe, occasionally volunteer at a nursing home or rescue mission… I’m doing my fair share right? “What are the RICH doing?” I would think. “They got more than me, stingy bums!” Again… Statistically speaking I AM one of the rich I was railing about! Am I REALLY doing ALL I can?
I have a nice house in the country, multiple cars, TVs, computer, furniture, toys, money in the bank…. But hey I volunteer, practice RANDOM acts of kindness, toss panhandlers 50 bucks not 5!! I’m doing proportionately more than the super rich guy, right? So that rules me out as stingy??? What are we thinking people? People are STARVING in our very own back yard and we’re too busy keeping up with the Jones’ to REALLY help?
In the United States, we throw more edible food in the garbage each day than it would take to feed the twenty thousand people who will die that day for lack of food. What’s wrong with this picture?
Idk… I can’t live with myself… Excuse myself anymore… I can’t do it now that my eyes have really been opened to my self-deception! Time for the rich man to get off his laurels and REALLY pony up! Time to downsize, live BELOW my means…
Be the change I want to see in the world!